Windows 7 build 6801 on the Desktop

I removed Windows 7 from the Laptop for trying Windows Vista x64 so I didn’t have Windows 7 installed anywhere. I am going to install Windows 7 build 6801 on the Desktop while waiting for the public beta.

Reordered the HDD boot sequence again.

  1. ST3500 - WINDOWS/DOCS
  2. WD7500JB - BACKUP
  3. ST5750 - SERVER
  4. WD3000JB – MUSIC

The only difference from last time is that I swapped BACKUP and WINDOWS/DOCS. I probably shouldn’t have done that because I realized it doesn’t make any difference to how Windows 7 setup lists the HDDs. It does

  1. PATA0 = SERVER
  2. PATA1 = MUSIC
  3. SATA0 = BACKUP
  4. SATA1 = WINDOWS/DOCS

no matter what your HDD boot order is.

So I have Windows XP SP3 installed in BACKUP. You have to understand the drive letter mess-up Windows Vista or 7 does when you install Windows, especially when you are using Autounattend.xml to relocate your Users folder. Because Windows 7 setup follows the PATA and SATA sequence I listed above, the setup would initially show you that it is going to assign drive letters this way:

  1. C: SERVER
  2. D: MUSIC
  3. E: BACKUP
  4. F: WINDOWS
  5. G: DOCS

Suppose you are installing Windows 7 to WINDOWS HDD and if you configure your Autounattend.xml to follow these drive letters, then you are stuffed. After installing Windows, the WINDOWS HDD will take the drive letter C: so that could change the drive letter for DOCS HDD. After installing Windows:

  1. D: SERVER
  2. E: MUSIC
  3. F: BACKUP
  4. C: WINDOWS
  5. G: DOCS

OK that time DOCS drive letter didn’t change because initially DOCS was listed after WINDOWS. The logic still remains. Windows 7 build 6801 did something strange when I installed yesterday. It fully ignored assigning a drive letter to BACKUP. So BACKUP wasn’t even listed in Computer. That made DOCS to be F: rather than G: so my Autounattend.xml rendered useless again. This is why I had to reinstall it today.

Today’s reinstall didn’t ignore BACKUP. So this time Users folder was created in BACKUP rather than DOCS. It wasn’t right again! I reverted back to the old HDD boot sequence:

  1. WD7500JB - BACKUP
  2. ST3500 - WINDOWS/DOCS
  3. ST5750 - SERVER
  4. WD3000JB – MUSIC

This is the default boot sequence from BIOS and I think I will allow this permanently. I rebooted and I got Windows XP SP3 back. It doesn’t know anything about the Windows 7 build 6801 installation I did to WINDOWS HDD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tagging Classic Music albums with Mp3tag for iTunes and Last.fm

DVD to WMV9 Guide 4.5

DVD2WMV Encoder 1.0 ALPHA Started