Windows 7 build 6801 on the Desktop

I removed Windows 7 from the Laptop for trying Windows Vista x64 so I didn’t have Windows 7 installed anywhere. I am going to install Windows 7 build 6801 on the Desktop while waiting for the public beta.

 

Reordered the HDD boot sequence again.

  1. ST3500 - WINDOWS/DOCS
  2. WD7500JB - BACKUP
  3. ST5750 - SERVER
  4. WD3000JB – MUSIC

 

The only difference from last time is that I swapped BACKUP and WINDOWS/DOCS. I probably shouldn’t have done that because I realized it doesn’t make any difference to how Windows 7 setup lists the HDDs. It does

  1. PATA0 = SERVER
  2. PATA1 = MUSIC
  3. SATA0 = BACKUP
  4. SATA1 = WINDOWS/DOCS

no matter what your HDD boot order is.

 

So I have Windows XP SP3 installed in BACKUP.

 

You have to understand the drive letter mess-up Windows Vista or 7 does when you install Windows, especially when you are using Autounattend.xml to relocate your Users folder.

 

Because Windows 7 setup follows the PATA and SATA sequence I listed above, the setup would initially show you that it is going to assign drive letters this way:

  1. C: SERVER
  2. D: MUSIC
  3. E: BACKUP
  4. F: WINDOWS
  5. G: DOCS

 

Suppose you are installing Windows 7 to WINDOWS HDD and if you configure your Autounattend.xml to follow these drive letters, then you are stuffed. After installing Windows, the WINDOWS HDD will take the drive letter C: so that could change the drive letter for DOCS HDD. After installing Windows:

  1. D: SERVER
  2. E: MUSIC
  3. F: BACKUP
  4. C: WINDOWS
  5. G: DOCS

 

OK that time DOCS drive letter didn’t change because initially DOCS was listed after WINDOWS. The logic still remains.

 

Windows 7 build 6801 did something strange when I installed yesterday. It fully ignored assigning a drive letter to BACKUP. So BACKUP wasn’t even listed in Computer. That made DOCS to be F: rather than G: so my Autounattend.xml rendered useless again. This is why I had to reinstall it today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tagging Classic Music albums with Mp3tag for iTunes and Last.fm

DVD to WMV9 Guide 4.5

DVD2WMV Encoder 1.0 ALPHA Started